[rescue] Perverse Question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jun 15 14:42:10 CDT 2003

On Sunday, June 15, 2003, at 12:46 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> Ah, I never realised compiler flags are incompatible across different
> products. And I thought that would be a matter ox "export
> CC=/usr/bin/foo"...
>
> So if I want a linux system that's completely compiled with eg a
> compiler from
> Sun, I have to recreate every single makefile of the applications I
> compile?

   There are some that are considered "universal" but they are in the
minority.  In general, -c, -D, -U -o, -O, -g, -p, and -pg are pretty
universal (there are probably others but none that I could come up with
offhand).  In the context of GCC, pretty much anything that begins with
"-f" is GCC-specific, but there are dozens of others as well.

>> To give credit where credit is due, it is a fantastic achievement to
>> have
>> a free compiler set that supports so many architectures. So even if it
>> ain't optimal, I salute them for offering tools for free to the
>> masses :).
>
> ...and one that should crosscompile from any to any of the supported
> architectures (though I did not manage to compile one yet).

   This *is* very impressive.  GCC's cross-compilation capability kicks
ass.

      -Dave