[rescue] Perverse Question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 14 19:15:06 CDT 2003

--- Dave McGuire <mcguire at qyx.com> wrote:
>    For the LX?  That enables higher resolution (1280x1024 I believe),

> not double buffering.  Or is there an X hack that lets you use the
> additional FB memory for double buffering?

>From http://www.obsolyte.com/sun_lx/, which claims to be quoting the
Framebuffer FAQ:

1024 x  768 @ 77
1152 x  900 @ 66  1152 x  900 @ 76
1280 x 1024 @ 67  1280 x 1024 @ 76  --  LX with 1Mb VSIMM only
1600 x 1280 @ 76
1600 x 1280 @ 76                    --  LX with 1Mb VSIMM only

But by going to the FAQ source
(http://www.obsolyte.com/sunFAQ/faq_framebuffer/framebuffer.html), I
see:

The SparcStation LX has an on-board GX with a slot for a 1Mb VSIMM.
This optional extra memory can be used to support higher display
resolutions or for double-buffering.

So, an LX with a VSIMM would make a good X Terminal, IMHO (but of
course, an Ultra 1 w/Creator wouldn't be too bad either ;^)

=====
Lionel