[rescue] Perverse Question

Dave McGuire mcguire at qyx.com
Wed Jun 11 22:07:36 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 09:17 PM, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> Didn't Avi leave Akamai and go off to Sealand to immerse racks of
> servers
> in nitrogen?

   Egads, someone else knows Avi Freedman?

   Years ago, when net connectivity was still pretty much a
colleges-and-a-few-companies thing, I used to pile blank 9-track tapes
into my car (I'd *just* gotten my license...this would've been maybe
1987, I don't recall) and head over to his office at Temple University
in Philadelphia.  He'd lock me in a room with euclid.math.temple.edu, a
then-brandie-new Sun4/280...a GLORIOUS machine.  It had a net
connection, a 9-track tape drive, a console terminal, and a door that
locked. :)  I'd spend all day in there ftping to the world at large,
filling tapes with good stuff to last me until my next trip. :-)

   One day I showed up there and he'd just gotten a new SPARCstation-2
with 56MB of RAM (this was an ungodly huge amount of RAM at the time,
on a very new machine).  I knelt before it with much stiffness.  He had
SoftPC on there, and I seem to recall much craziness in which we
installed Xenix/286 under SoftPC running under SunOS.

   What fun, what fun. 8-)

               -Dave