[rescue] Perverse Question

Skeezics Boondoggle skeezics at q7.com
Tue Jun 10 20:17:33 CDT 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, "Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." wrote:

> >From: "Geoffrey S. Mendelson" <gsm at mendelson.com>
> >Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:49:10 +0300 (IDT)
> >
> >Before I left Philly in late '96 that group would have been Avi Freedman
> >(of Netaxs fame) who was running it on a laptop and me. :-)
>
> Avi !  Now there is someone I haven't heard of in a while....  I like
> the slogan he came out with for his outsourced Usenet company (I'm
> blanking on the name)... "My ISP sucks less" :-)

Yeah, that was my reaction too. :-)  I was with Teleport in those days,
and Netaxs were our East Coast alter-ego (or we were their West Coast evil
twin?) and we exchanged numerous emails, horror stories, DNS secondaries,
bribes, etc.  We desperately wanted to lure Hillary out here in trade for
a pair of our support techs and a Sparcstation to be named later...

I think that slogan may have come about in an email exchange with us,
actually; the teleport.com admin staff wanted to print up t-shirts with
"Teleport: We Suck Less!" to wear at the monthly open house.  Dang, I
should go dig through my old email and the a.s.r archives. :-)

> Wonder what he is up to these days.

Didn't Avi leave Akamai and go off to Sealand to immerse racks of servers
in nitrogen?

-- Skeez