[rescue] Perverse Question

Dave McGuire mcguire at qyx.com
Wed Jun 11 22:01:01 CDT 2003

On Tuesday, June 10, 2003, at 05:38 PM, Frank Van Damme wrote:
>> You can get around this, but it requires a recompile.  On BSDs you can
>> pull down everything and then do a make world.  On SM51's etc it does
>> make a difference once you compile everything...
>
> Hm, my laptop is a sun4m... what CFLAGS are recommended for such a
> machine?
> Given the thing has "only" 110 MHz and runs Debian - it can use some
> optimisation...

   For gcc, I'd definitely add "-mv8" to cause it to emit hardware
multiply/divide instructions.  This will definitely have a noticeable
positive impact on performance.

   There may be other optimizations that will help, but that's a biggie.
  gcc's sun4m code generation isn't great, but it's not that terrible
(its sun4u code *is* terrible).

         -Dave