[rescue] bits and pieces

Dave McGuire mcguire at qyx.com
Fri Jun 13 02:23:58 CDT 2003

On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 08:39 AM, Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:
>> While I was there I grabbed a copy of the
>> file they had listed as a 'datasheet' for the part you referred to.
>> You know what it was?  It was one-sheet product description for an
>> 8X300 cross-assembler.  Oh well, at least you know that one's a
> dead-
>> end.
>
> Yeah, I guess that was pretty obvious anyway. I was kind of curious.
> Just because a CPU wasn't widely adopted doesn't necessarily mean it
> didn't have anything going for it.
>
> I mean, look at what we DID end up with as the most common.

   [these will all hit the list when my *&^@#$# connectivity comes back
up, I suppose]

   The 8X300 *was* widely adopted...just as a peripheral controller, not
as a CPU.  I've seen at least twenty different disk and tape
controllers with 8X300s on them.  Even now its architecture lives on as
one of the most popular microcontroller families in existence, the PIC
from Microchip, Inc. (formerly Arizona Microchip, formerly the
semiconductor division of General Instrument...the supplier of the
8Xxxx family)

         -Dave