[rescue] bits and pieces

Jeffrey J. Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Sat Jun 14 10:54:18 CDT 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:06:24 -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

>>>The 8X300 is what grew into the PIC...I wouldn't exactly call that
>>>"dead end". ;)
>>
>>I took that to mean not so much of an evolutionary dead end as the
>>parts not being worth using themselves.
>
>Oh yes.  Please don't chuck it, though...every now & then they're
>needed as a repair part.
>
>-Dave

Dave, I have a basment full of replacement parts. So far when I've
asked here, nobody has wanted me to throw away ANYTHING. That's fine,
except that one of the reasons I'm going through all this stuff is to
figure out what to keep and what to throw away.

Nobody wanted me to throw away a rusted old Centronics printer. Well,
admittedly they didn't know how rusted it was until I posted
pictures. But even if it hadn't been, the responses were more "Don't
throw that away! Somebody might be able to use it someday!" than "I
need one of those!"

Of course, the two chips take up a lot less room than the printer
(and weigh considerably less). Nevertheless, those are two more chips
I don't have a use for. I don't even have DOCUMENTATION for them. I
don't remember where I got them; they might be in my hands because
they didn't work in the first place. Should I really store them and
keep track of them indefinitely on the off-chance that someday,
somebody might need them, and happen to mention it to me, and I'll
happen to rememer I have them, and be able to get them off my hands?
Maybe I'll be able to sell them at a profit, but chances are I'll
have done all that to no purpose, or to benefit somebody else who
should be designing an upgrade instead of scrounging for obscure
obsolete parts.

Maybe I'm just mercenary, feeling that at least my efforts should
have some sort of potential practical benefit. I appreciate the
thought that throwing them may condemn some really cool piece of
equipment to oblivion sometime in the future, but how can I tell? I
could carry them the rest of my life while other people are
condemning such equipment to oblivion because they don't know that
the chips are available.

Can you find a home for them? Do YOU want to keep them, and are you
willing to pay the packing and shipment costs for me to send them to
you? I've got lots more stuff, some of which I might be able to sell.
Do you want the overflow?

BTW, the Centronics is now history. It's partially disassembled, some
parts have already gone out in the trash, and about half of it has
been removed. I haven't decided whether to keep the stepper motors.
They're pretty meaty.