[rescue] Mac rescue

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Jun 12 18:33:03 CDT 2003

On Thursday, June 12, 2003, at 10:59 AM, Robert Novak wrote:
> I just went and looked at the original post, to be sure. He never said
> pre-historic. His point is valid--they are "not terribly useful unless
> you
> are into historic pre-OSX apple operating systems."

He may also mean that they are pre-"New Age" Macs.  New Age Macs
meaning those can boot off the network and therefore can be "thin"
clients in the real sense of the word.  I *think* that 5400's can
boot off the net, but am not certain.  I'd seriously doubt than an
all-in-one can, though.

I wouldn't put anything later than OS 9 on a 5400 even if it had a
G3 daughter card and could be forced to install OS X.  OS X sucks
rocks with less than 256MB of memory...I put it down to that blasted
mach swap file system--which is very difficult to get and keep on a
different disk/chain from the main os disk.

=Nadine=