[rescue] Mac rescue

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Thu Jun 12 12:59:09 CDT 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Chris "Magnus" Hedemark <chris at yonderway.com> wrote:
>
> > The apples in question though are "old world" Macs, and not terribly
> > useful unless you are into historic pre-OSX apple operating systems.
>
> Huh?  Pre-historic?  'Splain please.  A lot of the publishing and graphic
> design industry still uses < MacOS 9 - at least according to my sister who
> works in the industry.

He said, or at least you quoted, "historic"... which I think "no longer
sold by the vendor or supported natively on the hardware currently sold by
the vendor" would qualify for. I'd put SunOS 4 on the same category, as
you can't (easily, if at all) buy the OS or hardware to run it on from the
company that made the OS and the hardware, despite the fact that it will
still run and you can still get the OS and the hardware to run it on from
third parties (and maybe from SME?).

He also said, or at least you quoted, "pre-OSX"... I don't think anyone
will suggest that OS8 came after OSX at least in market/sales terms (maybe
someone here got a copy of OS8 after they got OSX, but that doesn't count
for historical analysis really). Since it came before OSX, it qualifies as
pre-OSX. Or so I believe.

I just went and looked at the original post, to be sure. He never said
pre-historic. His point is valid--they are "not terribly useful unless you
are into historic pre-OSX apple operating systems."

Rob

Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com