[rescue] Mac rescue

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Thu Jun 12 10:51:36 CDT 2003

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> That's what I meant, but I thought it over, and realized -why- they're
> probably going that route.  Apple treated schools like hell before Jobs
> came back into the picture.  They're probably still feeling the backlash
> from that.
>
> Or, maybe Dell just gave them a really good bargain.  Who knows?

I know I'd put a new US$300.00 Dell system much higher on the "useful to
schools in the 21st century" scale than a new US$300.00 Apple system. How
much educational value is there to a refurbished 5GB iPod anyway? I'd even
extend that to $500, although if I can get a useful Dell machine for
$300-400 in qty 1, I'm sure a school buying a hundred of them can get at
least as good a deal.

I read the original post first as the ever popular "blood in the water"
type of post ("Oh no, they're replacing 8 year old Macs with new PCs,
let's all tear our hair out or send insulting messages to the school
board!"), but then reread it a few times and realized he might have been
asking if they were worth rescuing. I too read it as one per family, and
that seems reasonable.

Rob

Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com