[rescue] Cross Country shipping

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Jun 10 19:27:48 CDT 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Al Potter wrote:

> rnovak at indyramp.com said:
> > Seriously, that's not bad for a non-freight option, considering they
> > will probably have to package it well (or at least thoroughly). This
> > sounds like a SSA100/SSA1010/30-drive model?
>
> Yeah, it's a 1010, hopefully with a healthy compliment of drives.  I weighed
> an empty one in the office today, and it was ~70 pounds.

Yeah, I had three or four of them at one point. Still have one, and
finally got the card for it. Nowhere to put it though, so it sleeps in
storage.

> I know that's a non-inflated price, I was hoping for a suggestion for an
> alternate carrier. I already checked greyhound, FWIW, and it's better,
> but I'd like to figure out a better way in general.

Some trucking companies may do space-available LTL, but you may have to
wait a while for available space. ABF and Eagle might be worth looking at.
UPS and Fedex have freight rates I think, but you may have to go through
an account or agent for them.

> Swerving filez.  From the basement, which is cool.  Over fibre.

At a whopping 25MB/sec :)

Not bad, if you have a basement. My fileserver at the moment is on 802.11b
and my laptop is on 100bT. Go figure.

Robert Novak - rnovak at indyramp.com