sparcalarms, was Re: [rescue] Perverse Question

Eric Josephson ericj at speakeasy.org
Tue Jun 10 17:51:39 CDT 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> > > I'd love to see a small write-up on this... Think of the
> > > possibilities - why, if we could interconnect all our
> > > appliances, and maybe come up with a portable programming
> > > language that would allow you to write once, run anywhere,
> > > well, you could be on to something...
> > >

> > You mean like p-code or zil?  It's been done.  Never caught on,
> > though.
>
> Bzzt - wrong answer, I was thinking "Oak", or, as it is more commonly
> called these days "Java"... I'm sorry... Better luck next time.
>
> Actually Java was developed for set top boxes, then when that market
> went belly-up, it was repurposed to this new thing callered the
> Internet (based on the ARPA/DARPA network)... ;^)
>
> Sorry, I don't *mean* to be a smart ass, just having fun...

I'm aware of the history of java and what it was supposedly
designed for.  But being (or having been) an embedded developer
myself, the idea apalls me.  Ick.  And you folks complain about
bloat in your desktop OS?  Sun can't even implement java efficiently
on their workstations.

No worries, I suspected you were being a bit of a smart-ass with your
original comment, thus my response: they make about as much sense.

--
Eric Josephson <ericj at speakeasy.org>