[rescue] Perverse Question

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Tue Jun 10 13:13:50 CDT 2003

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Frank Van Damme wrote:

> Don't run Debian or any Linux distro on a sun4c. They get dead-slow in a week;
> there's some or another cpu instruction that is emulated in software
> (analogous to math emulation I think) and guess what: that code sucks.

They actually don't trap and emulate those instructions (which are
the integer divide and multiply), they have gcc emit equivalent
streams of instructions... for ALL sparc.  Thus why there are
typically complaints about all sparc machines being slow at
ssh and the like...  lately they have been working on a way to
have machine-specific libraries called for critical libraries
like that... so sun4c will still be compatible, but sun4m and 4u
will be faster.

--Kurt