[rescue] Perverse Question

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Mon Jun 9 17:37:48 CDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 14:43:29 -0700 (PDT), Lionel Peterson
<lionel4287 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > I didn't know what the machine was before I accepted it, or I
> > wouldn't have bothered. But now that I have it, I'd like to
> > find a use for it.
>
> I'd keep my eyes open for a monitor/keyboard/mouse and maybe a VSIMM
> (to allow double-buffering on the internal framebuffer, and then set it
> up as a diskless (or near-diskless) X Terminal on the workbench or some
> other place...

This takes a VSIMM? *poke* OK, that's what that empty socket is for, I
guess. Don't have the budget for extra monitors, never managed to figure
out how to get X working.

The fellow who gave it to me included a type 5 keyboard and mouse, so
that's covered. There's 24 meg of RAM installed, and a hard drive that I
haven't pulled out to look at yet.

> I assume router & printserver functions are already handled fine in
> your existing network...

Yes, well, the router has to work or I'm pretty much cut off from the
Internet.

Not really using a print server per se, at least not a *nix one. Just the
Windoze share services. Still mostly running Windoze boxes here.

*poke* OK, I found the service manual, had to Google for it. *poke* The
drive is a Seagate ST1480N, 424MB. The memory looks like standard SIMMs,
but even if that's true, there are various kinds of SIMMs. The commercial
sites naturally want an arm and a leg for parts for this.

---
God runs electromagnetics by wave theory on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and
the Devil runs them by quantum theory on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.
-William Bragg