[rescue] RS/6000 Model 390 (etc.) ... Update, and where can I find AIX?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jun 9 14:12:23 CDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Corda Albert J DLVA wrote:

> As things turned out, I ended up coming away with 2 RS/6000 390
> boxes,

W00t!  Good score!

> along with a DEC Alphaserver 2100... More on the
> 2100 in a follow-on posting...

I have two of them.  Right now, they're endtables for my couch that
happen to be configured as a VMS cluster. :)

> Now that I have the 390s, anyone have an idea where I can get a
> copy of AIX?  Also, what version of AIX will run on these
> critters?

I know 4.3.3 will run on them.  5.1 might, as well.

> wouldn't work with a "normal" IBM PS/2 keyboard... Does anyone
> know if the 390 needs this funky keyboard, or will it work
> with a normal one?

It should work with any IBM Model M PS/2 keyboard.  It'll probably work
with others, but why would you want to deny your hands the pleasure of
buckling-spring technologoy?

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren