[rescue] RS/6000 Model 390 (etc.) ... Update, and where can I find AIX?

Corda Albert J DLVA CordaAJ at NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Mon Jun 9 13:49:05 CDT 2003

I just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback!

As things turned out, I ended up coming away with 2 RS/6000 390
boxes, along with a DEC Alphaserver 2100... More on the
2100 in a follow-on posting...

Now that I have the 390s, anyone have an idea where I can get a
copy of AIX?  Also, what version of AIX will run on these
critters?

BTW, The one time in the past I ran across an RS/6000 it required
some sort of funky PS/2 keyboard (looked almost like a regular
IBM PS/2 keyboard but it had a speaker installed in the normally
empty speaker port on the bottom of the keyboard)  The critter
wouldn't work with a "normal" IBM PS/2 keyboard... Does anyone
know if the 390 needs this funky keyboard, or will it work
with a normal one?

-al-
-acorda at 1bigred.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Lionel Peterson [mailto:lionel4287 at yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 11:00 AM
To: The Rescue List
Subject: Re: [rescue] RS/6000 Model 390 and PowerStation 560...
Comments?

--- "Joshua D. Boyd" <jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:16:26PM -0400, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>
> > significant other won't think to look.  My big victory came when I
> > was able to convince my Wife that *racks* were a good idea.  Two
>
> I believe I've convinced $SO of that, but I'm still having trouble
> aquiring one.  A mix of low money, and no good way to transport one.
> Still working on the transportation angle.

I've got three (two sort of cruddy ones, one really nice one), and no
way to get them in the basement (no friends nearby, no interest in
breaking them down and re-assembling them) - my current thought is to
get a serious hand truck and carry them down the stairs like a
refrigerator.

Joshua, if you can come up with a way to get one or two of these not so
nice racks home, you could have them for the price of a case of
domestic beer (each)... I am in the Trenton, NJ area, just off Rt. 95 -
I could bring them to my office in Yardley, PA as a concession ;^)

If you contact my wife off-list, she'd probably buy the beer for you,
just to get them out of the garage! ;^)

=====
Lionel