[rescue] Perverse Question

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Mon Jun 9 13:37:08 CDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003 12:55:02 -0500, "Jonathan C. Patschke"
<jp at celestrion.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:
>
> > I've also got a pair of SS20s. Glad to know SPARC assembly is easy, but
I'm
> > not really that interested in learning it for the sake of learning it. If
> > find a need to do SPARC assembly, I can learn it then.
>
> It's stupid-simple, really.  The only thing easier is MIPS.

You've obviously never played with an IBM 1620.

> And you have all those registers to stretch out in.

I have to admit, the 1620 didn't have a excess of registers to stretch out
in. :^)

> > I was actually more curious about how I could make this a useful part of
my
> > home network? Without necessarily displacing another machine already
doing
> > the same job.
>
> Print server?  Webcache?  Samba domain controller? ;)

Maybe a print server, but I was already planning on setting up a P5-200 to
do some miscellaneous tasks (DHCP, maybe print server, maybe NIS, email,
etc.). I've got lots of junk PCs (and just added another one to the family,
in fact), and am playing around with Linux as well as Unix.

> > I didn't know what the machine was before I accepted it, or I wouldn't
have
> > bothered. But now that I have it, I'd like to find a use for it.
>
> Well, if you ever decide to pitch it...
>
> > Other than ripping the guts out and installing a mini-ITX board, that is.
> > ;)
>
> ...don't do that.

I didn't plan to, which is what "other than" means.

If I got a fried LX or other Sun box I might consider such a move. But I'm
not likely to do it to a working one. This one booted right up to whatever
OS is on the hard drive, and invited me to log in.

---
Be a better psychiatrist and the world will beat a psychopath to your door.