[rescue] Perverse Question

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Mon Jun 9 12:55:02 CDT 2003

On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, Jeffrey Nonken wrote:

> > If you ever wanted to play with a RISC machine at a really low level,
>
> Microchip sells several lines of RISC chips that I've done development on,
> and I'm trying to get a job based partly on that experience. Or maybe those
> aren't considered "real" RISC machines?

Pretty-much anything that's strictly load-store is considered RISC,
IIRC.

> I've also got a pair of SS20s. Glad to know SPARC assembly is easy, but I'm
> not really that interested in learning it for the sake of learning it. If I
> find a need to do SPARC assembly, I can learn it then.

It's stupid-simple, really.  The only thing easier is MIPS.  And you
have all those registers to stretch out in.

> I was actually more curious about how I could make this a useful part of my
> home network? Without necessarily displacing another machine already doing
> the same job.

Print server?  Webcache?  Samba domain controller? ;)

> I didn't know what the machine was before I accepted it, or I wouldn't have
> bothered. But now that I have it, I'd like to find a use for it.

Well, if you ever decide to pitch it...

> Other than ripping the guts out and installing a mini-ITX board, that is.
> ;)

...don't do that.  Send it to someone who'll at least use it to
profile/benchmark his code on a relatively slow system.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "Leave your lawsuits at home.  I have guns."
Elgin, TX          (                      --"Kountry" Mike Lundgren