[rescue] Some days ....

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Sun Jun 8 23:46:42 CDT 2003

On Sunday, June 8, 2003, at 12:11 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> IIRC it was aimed at small accounting firms and such, was a self
> contained unit that looked like a dedicated word processor of the time
> (think DecMate, Wang, etc.)... The problem was it was based on a
> minicomputer price structure, as was the Dec Professional ;^)

He said "Wang"! :-D I used to work in the State of Illinois' Judicial
MIS branch and we had some Wang PCs b/c of the entrenchment of the Wang
word-processors (that was right before they finally kicked the bucket).
  IBM was also entrenched (wouldn't doubt that the IL Court Systems'
records are still on IBM mainframes...), so we had those huge-a$$ IBM
printers on wheels that didn't play nicely with DOS, other than IBM's
DisplyWrite word-processing software--which was the matched the UI of
the IBM Displaywriter (hardware), only ran on DOS.  So I ended up
learning to deal with EBCDIC even though I never laid hands on a
mainframe.  The IBM PS/2's we had were nice for PCs of the era, though.

(The worse thing I had to work on at that time, though was
Ashton-Tate's DB4, what a POS!)

Time to put all that junk back into the mental cob-webs...

=Nadine=