[rescue] Some days ....

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 14:11:30 CDT 2003

--- Mike Meredith <mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> The original PC has more than enough IRQs and DMA channels for a
> cheap and nasty home PC ... that's all it was supposed to be. If
> IBM thought they were designing the future of PC's for the next
> zillion years they would have been a little more thoughtful; it
> would probably have been something like the 360 and cost so much
> that very few would have sold.

The "original" IBM personal computer (before the "PC") was a $10-15K
machine that suited no particular use, other than to reinforce IBMs
opinion that there was no such thing as a personal computer market...

IIRC it was aimed at small accounting firms and such, was a self
contained unit that looked like a dedicated word processor of the time
(think DecMate, Wang, etc.)... The problem was it was based on a
minicomputer price structure, as was the Dec Professional ;^)

=====
Lionel