[rescue] Some days ....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Jun 8 13:48:53 CDT 2003

On Sunday, June 8, 2003, at 02:10 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>> From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net>
>>> To be fair, it hasn't been that bad in a looooooooong time ....  and
>>> even then, at least half of it was the dain-brammaged OS's fault.
>>
>> ummm... IMHO PC hardware is seriously lacking in IRQs and DMA
>> channels....
>
> Amen, brother.  IBM really copped out by just daisychaining two
> 8-channel IRQ chips in the AT architecture.  They should have built in
> single 32-channel (or better yet, 64-channel) chip, IMHO.

   That would have been good, but bear in mind the original PC wasn't
designed to be scalable at all.  The fact that the industry decided to
adopt it as a de-facto standard was stupidity on the part of the
industry, not IBM.  (not trying to defend IBM here, but this is just
the way it is)

   I think they did a very good job for a cheap "throwaway" design done
by junior engineers.  The production cost of the PC was almost nothing;
there are exactly *zero* components on the original PC motherboard
design that were more than a few dollars apiece.

          -Dave