[rescue] Some days ....

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Sun Jun 8 12:58:56 CDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 02:10:17PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 10:52:03AM -0400, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:
> > >From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net>
> > >To be fair, it hasn't been that bad in a looooooooong time ....  and
> > >even then, at least half of it was the dain-brammaged OS's fault.
> >
> > ummm... IMHO PC hardware is seriously lacking in IRQs and DMA channels....
>
> Amen, brother.  IBM really copped out by just daisychaining two
> 8-channel IRQ chips in the AT architecture.  They should have built in a
> single 32-channel (or better yet, 64-channel) chip, IMHO.

Essentially an XT is a snapshot of what the cheapest ICs available in
the market at that time were.

Think of an XT as the Chicken McNugget of computing.

> > I've also had an issue with motherboard with lots of built in goodies
> > consuming so many IRQ resources that adding hardware was easiest by
> > disabling onboard devices that I didn't need (second com port).

And I ran into this Friday after replacing the onboard battery on a
machine.  Added soundcard conflicted with the second serial port or
something like that.

--Patrick