[rescue] OS X and dual CPU machines?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 8 11:26:17 CDT 2003

--- Michael Schiller <schiller at agrijag.com> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> I've been wondering, would OS X run better on a dual G4 500mhz
> machine with 1mb cache per CPU, than on an 800mhz iMac with a
> single G4 CPU with only 256k cache?

Depends. ;^)

Emotion/logic tells me that having a Unix-based OS running on dual CPUs
with a nice sixe cache is better than single-threading through a faster
single CPU with a fraction of the cache.

But, a single-user game (for instance) would probably work better on
the single-CPU box.

Can your mix of applications (multi-threaded application or multiple,
single-threaded applications at the same time) benefit from "SNMP
BABY!"

=====
Lionel