[rescue] Perverse Question

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Jun 7 14:14:29 CDT 2003

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, Jochen Kunz wrote:

> On 2003.06.06 23:12 Bill Bradford wrote:
>
> > If the IPX/IPCs arent working, I don't see anything wrong with making
> > good use out of the parts.
> I agree. [1] [2] But putting a PeeCee into the enclosure of a real
> machine is still disgusting. Especially as there are enough ready to
> use PeeCee boxes around. IMHO.

Your opinion is okay, it's just not mandatory or even valid for everyone.
The small cases for PCs are not as easy to find for a reasonable price.
I'd rather spend $10-20 on an IPX case than $100-200 for one of the
minicube PC cases.

An' it harm none, do what thou wilt, and all.

> [1] I have two SGI Indigo enclosures. One with R3000 CPU and PSU only,
> the other completely empty. I have sick thoughts mounting a PC164 Alpha
> board into the later. Or a QBus backplane and MicorVAX 4000-200 CPU. Or
> a PDP-11/73...

Watch out, you'll certainly have people threatening you over this too. Or
at least we can hope for such equality. :)

> [2] I did it the other way. I got a cheap Ultra5 board that I mounted
> in an old Pentium PeeCee box.

The AXi boards were designed for use in ATX enclosures. So this isn't
particularly noteworthy.

--Rob