[rescue] RE: Spam (was: Perverse Question)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Jun 7 13:16:46 CDT 2003

Quoth Donald McClure ...
> On Saturday, June 7, 2003, at 12:23  PM, Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:

[snip]

> > SPAM is simply out of control now.
> >
> I hear this all the time. But I get hundreds of emails every day on
> this .mac address, but maybe spammed once a week. What's up with that?

Just wait.

I had an address like that; friends were complaining about spam, and I never
got any.  I used the address all the time, everywhere, too.

Now I get nothing but spam on that address, and another address, which I've
never used anywhere, ever, gets 4 or 5 spams a day.

I have things set up so all my mail ends up going through my company's
servers, where SpamAssassin gets to have a look at anything that makes it in
the front door.  A _lot_ of stuff doesn't get past the gate, but of the
stuff that does, I get 40-60 spams a day.  We have SpamAssassin operating in
"tag mode" where it marks the spam, but still delivers 'em.  It marks about
80% of the spam that it sees, but it also marks the occasional legitimate
message, which is why we're still just tagging.

Net, though, after the front-end refusals, then SpamAssissin marking, then
my MUA applying its rules, is that I end up with about 6 or 8 undetected
spams a day.

It's taking a lot of resources to filter the damned things out, though.

My guess is that someone is doing a good job of filtering for you.

-Shel