[rescue] AS/400 question

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sat Jun 7 11:32:42 CDT 2003

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 11:56:59PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:

> >Did you tell them you wanted it for hobbyist use?
> >
> >A coworker got an IBM OS like that some years ago.
>
>   What OS, for what hardware?  Do you recall?  This should be pursued
> with vigor.

I think it was one of the 80s/early 90s S/370 arch mainframes, and its
been too long for me to remember the system or circumstances.  It might
have been one of those rack-mounted ones though.

I know he had to get rid of one because they wouldn't budge.  The power
requirements for most make them just not worth it.

I also think you'll find on Google, some guys with a 4381 who got a
license.

There is also a web page I hit the other day, and it listed IBM
mainframes and which ones were practical to run, power requirements and
that kind of thing, and they might have covered OS licenses as well.  I
found it while looking for more information to support my Hercules and
MVS 3.8J habit.

Finally, I think that MVS 3.8J is now free, and it runs on S/370
hardware.  I run it under emulation on Hercules, but I don't know what
kinds of hardware it will run on.  For example, I don't know if you can
run it on something like a 9370 110V mainframe or not.

If I can find out more I'll let you know.  Pester me about it in a
few days though...  I have the memory and attention span of a gnat
sometimes.

In any case, I'd still write a letter or make a phone call to IBM.
Sometimes it just matters exactly who you get in touch with.