[rescue] WTB: SS20 Ram, External SCSI CD

Nathaniel Grady nate at grady.is-a-geek.com
Tue Jun 3 11:25:22 CDT 2003

"Curtis H. Wilbar Jr." <rescue at hawkmountain.net> wrote:
> From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at yahoo.com>
> >--- Nathaniel Grady <nate at grady.is-a-geek.com> wrote:
> >> The SS-20 was my main desktop during
> >> college, and I left it with my parents when I moved to Houston
> >> for grad school a year ago. The RasterFLEX-HR and 10krpm drive
> >> are nice, and I have an SM71 to go in it, but the whole 80mb of
> >> ram bit kinda sucks. I figure with a pair of SM71's and half a
> >> gig of ram, it should make a nice machine for editing LaTeX on :-)
> >
> >I'd reconsider spending money on an SS/20 - I got a very nice SGI
> >Ingido^2 w/R10K 195 MHz CPU, 512 Meg RAM, 2x 4 Gig HD and framebuffer
> >(no keyboard, mouse, CD-ROM) for about $100 of e-bay. Granted it was a
> >very good deal, but you are looking to spend upwards of $150 to get an
> >SS/20 in shape...
>
> The SS20 has two big advantages over the Indigo 2..... size... and weight !

Well, and I allready have a SS20. From what I understand, they're probably
quieter. More importantly,  I don't want to teach my dad on a system I'm not
familiar with, which means sticking with Sun or x86 at the moment. More
importantly, I'm terrible at getting good deals off ebay. Every time I've
gotten a "good deal" recently, it's been for a reason :-(

> >An Ultra 1-170 should cost similar (or less) equiped similarly...

Well, Ultra-1 ram works in a SS20, so I figure buying ram for either would run
about the same. Looking at ebay, most of the systems have only 64 or 128mb of
ram...

> The SS20 is still smaller if size is an issue.  Only thing I'd recommend
> anyone thinking of getting a U1 would be is go for the E models... they
> have 100Mbit ethernet and support wide SCSI to the disks.

Well, basically I have the 20 allready, and it looks spiffy sitting where it
is. For running a few xterms, it probably is sufficiently fast :-) He may
very well switch to a mac next time his desktop is up for replacement, as the
collage gives people the option to have either a mac or a pc. OS X Yummyness!

--Nate