[rescue] WTB: SS20 Ram, External SCSI CD

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 3 05:33:08 CDT 2003

--- Nathaniel Grady <nate at grady.is-a-geek.com> wrote:

> #1 is for my "re-introduce Dad to unix" project. I figure anyone
> whose favorite editor was Brief, and writes everyting in LaTeX,
> really needs a Unix box! The SS-20 was my main desktop during
> college, and I left it with my parents when I moved to Houston
> for grad school a year ago. The RasterFLEX-HR and 10krpm drive
> are nice, and I have an SM71 to go in it, but the whole 80mb of
> ram bit kinda sucks. I figure with a pair of SM71's and half a
> gig of ram, it should make a nice machine for editing LaTeX on :-)

I'd reconsider spending money on an SS/20 - I got a very nice SGI
Ingido^2 w/R10K 195 MHz CPU, 512 Meg RAM, 2x 4 Gig HD and framebuffer
(no keyboard, mouse, CD-ROM) for about $100 of e-bay. Granted it was a
very good deal, but you are looking to spend upwards of $150 to get an
SS/20 in shape...

An Ultra 1-170 should cost similar (or less) equiped similarly...

Just a thought...

=====
Lionel