[rescue] donated old PC parts...P100's, 1gb ide drives, etc...

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Jun 2 23:05:43 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 08:49:42PM -0600, phoetoid wrote:
> we have decided upon using FreeBSD/Netbsd for our nodes, as
> well as a yet-to-be-determined linux distribution for some odd 15
> macintoshes that will be part of the cluster.

Allow me to suggest The Rock Linux distribution.  My understanding is
it's sort of like Slackware for Macs, which means it's not going to get
all hinky at you if you don't want to install Gnome and KDE and all the
rest of the bloatware, and it'll put minimal obstacles in the way of you
getting your hands dirty and doing what you'll need to do to incorporate
the Macs into a cluster.

> We are looking for :
> *	~1gb IDE hard drives
> *	10/100 network cards
> *	complete P100 or higher systems

Hmm.  Let me look around.  I think I have a 1.2GB IDE drive that got
pulled out of a machine recently.  I think I may have some extra 10/100
NICs too, but I don't know what types they are and I'm not certain they
all work.