[rescue] Trying to figure out a rescued HP 4000T printer

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jun 2 22:23:47 CDT 2003

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Dan Sikorski wrote:

> Well, the 13.1 just means that the paper didn't hit the first sensor
> within the specified time.  It would be a paper feed motor, pickup
> roller, or some other problem with the paper being picked up and moved
> into the printer.
>
> When it does the 13.1 bit, does it move the top sheet out of the tray at
> all? just about an inch? or does the page actually get into the printer?

No, it doesn't move the paper at all. I hear some gears start moving, but
no paper moves. Same error occurs if trays are removed, or if trays are in
but paper is removed.

I would expect it to give a "tray empty" or "tray missing" type message if
you power it up and it has no paper trays. I get the 13.1 on powerup,
before trying to print anything.

Oddly, I started it up just now with paper trays removed, appropriate tilt
applied, and it came up ready. Set it back down, printed a test menu on
manual feed... hooked it to my pc, printed my resume on manual feed... it
sucked about 12 sheets in and gave the 13.1 *after* the paper came out.

--Rob