[rescue] Trying to figure out a rescued HP 4000T printer

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jun 2 20:21:38 CDT 2003

Hi folks,

I recently rescued a HP Laserjet 4000TN (without its network card :( )
and it seems to work with one slight exception. It only prints when I hold
the printer leaned back 45+ degrees.

Yeah, I stand in front of it and tip it backwards, and it is happy. If I
leave it flat, or tipped less, I get a "13.1 PAPER JAM OPEN INPUT TRAYS
THEN OPEN AND CLOSE TOP COVER" message.

I get this whether the paper trays are in or not. The common solution
found on various Google matches is to remove the iron filings from the
clutch in the paper tray. I don't think this is the problem, and doing so
didn't fix it.

Anybody got ideas on what to check?

Rob