[rescue] It really sucks ....

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Jun 2 12:15:01 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 11:47:57AM -0400, Michael A. Turner wrote:
>  On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 03:54:17PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> > It's a HP NetServer Storage System/6.  Without the HP-specific disk trays.
> > The trays sell for outrageous prices, and without them, an empty chassis
> > -- redundant power supplies and all -- seems to sell for about $5.
>
> 	I feel your pain, have the same problem with an Axil storage array.
> Great shape, has power supplies and everything else. No HD sleds or cage for
> the raid cards. They are unobtanium of the highest order. Hate to toss it as
> it cost me nearly $100 a couple years ago. Most of that being shipping.

Hm, one of my former employers had an Axil array.  (I bought it for the
company, actually, along with the workstation it was attached to.)  It
was a pretty decent RAID box, except for the fact that the original
vendor shipped it filled with Conner drives.

They did not, however, tell Axil that they'd put Conner drives in the
RAID box.

Matter of fact, they didn't tell Axil they'd sold us the RAID box.

If you really want to get down to the nitty-gritty, they didn't even
tell Axil they'd sold us an internal drive in the workstation.

So anyway, we had something like eight drive failures in fifteen months,
including two DOA replacement drives, and when the vendor stopped being
responsive, I talked to Axil directly (which is when we discovered the
above).  At that point, Axil told me to stand by.  They configured an
entire new array, controller and all, on Seagate Barracudas instead of
the POS Conners that Acropolis Systems had sourced, burned it in, tested
it, shipped me the complete set of controller and drives, and told me to
just swap everything out and ship the old parts back to them.

After I looked in the box, I called them back and said, "Uh, you do know
you're replacing six 2G* drives with seven 4G drives, don't you?"  They
replied, "Yes, we know.  Think of it as a free upgrade for your trouble."

Gotta love a manufacturer who stands behind their product even when
their dealers completely screw the pooch.

* This was about 1996.