[rescue] I have an SGI crimson at last!

David Holland dholland at woh.rr.com
Sun Jun 1 13:08:25 CDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 13:46, Jona Sperty wrote:
> David Holland <dholland at woh.rr.com> wrote>

> > It came with 2x 2.4 GB full height drives....what are my options here?
>
> Options how? It'll run IRIX 6.2 if you've a reasonably full compliment
> of memory.
>
> **I was just wondering if i could retrofit a more modern SCSI drive.

If your sleds are anything like the ones in mine, it looks like you
should be able to unplug the little snippet of ribbon cable/power cable
from the drive, and replace the drive w/ a SCA->50pin converter & and a
more modern SCA drive.

Something like so:

http://www.dalco.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=579279
(I believe that's the one I bought for use in a Indy - The company is
has a local walk in store next to me, that's why I use'm.)

Spacing may be a bit of a problem, so be aware of it.  Those adapter
boards are not small.

I'm sure someone here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe IRIX
5.3 was the last IRIX to have any significant drive size limitations.

David