An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Jul 31 14:31:52 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 31, 2003, at 12:18 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Rememdy does not support anything other than Windows, to my knowlege.

Well, at least that would have forced the powers-that-be
to either buy us all windows boxes or install citrix.  As
it was, we were expected to use the UNIX version *cringe*.
>> Does Remedy allow you to highlight multiple cases, making
>> you think you can do an action to all cases at once, and
>> then fail?
>
> Remedy will silently perform the task on one (either the first, the
> last, or one in the middle) and silently ignore the rest.

Sounds familiar.

> Also, double-clicking on anything never works.  It produces a "double
> clicking it not permitted in this form" or somesuch.  Even if there's
> only one button around, you have to highlight the item you want to work
> with and -then- click the button.

I do think, in most cases Clarify honored double-clicks.

> Searching for tickets and assets has two modes:
>   1) Exact match on everything
>   2) Build your own damned SELECT query.  BTW, we're not going to give
>      you a list of field names.

Oh, I remember when we had that meeting with Clarify and their
CSE (I use the term loosely) told my Perl hacker genius friend
when he asked for a copy of the db schema, "you wouldn't under-
stand it, you're not a dba".

In Clarify, all fields are *text*, so imagine how the case order
ends up when you want to sort by case *number*.

> Oh, never mind that their "alerter" app only works on events that
> happen
> while it's running.  So, if I log out to go to lunch, and a priority 1
> ticket hits my queue while I'm out, the alerter won't tell me when I
> log
> in.  So, if I don't log into the Remedy "desktop", the only thing the
> alerter will tell me later is "Your supervisor has been alerted to your
> violation of the 1-hour SLA on Priority 1 ticket #xxxxxxxxx".

Alerter, what's that?  *smirk*

> Helldesk software sucks.  Ubiquitously.

I would amend that to be all *commercial* helldesk software sucks.
I've heard (mildly) good things about some of the other stuff out
there (a recent conversation on BayLISA mailing list).

=Nadine=