[rescue] RE: Flash Memories....

Earl D. Baugh Jr. earl at baugh.org
Thu Jul 31 13:13:09 CDT 2003

Peter Corlett  & Phil wrote:

>From: abuse at cabal.org.uk (Peter Corlett)
>
> > Frankly, I think flash memory could fill the bill very nicely -- if they
> > could just AGREE ON ONE FORMAT, DAMMIT! instead of the proliferation of
> > SmartMedia and CompactFlash and Memory Stick and Secure Digital and ....
> > How many damn flash-memory formats are there now? Six? Seven? Eight? [...]
>
>The one that appears to be winning is CF, although there's something rather
>seductive about the USB drives.

I actually have :  Smart Media, Compact Flash, Multi-Media
in addition there are (that I've physically seen) :  Secure Digital, Memory
Stick, and the
new XD cards.  You could also argue that the PCMCIA and CardBus cards with
Flash
in them would count.  (That would make eight....)

I also have a Memorex 128MB USB key-bob-thingy drive. (got it as a present from
the gang at the last company when I left...)  I use it all the time here to
move stuff
from my laptop to my desktop (they're on separate lans here at work...don't
ask...sigh...)
It definitely is my replacement "floppy" now....the utility of it convinced
3 of the other
guys in the lab here to buy one.  With rebates, I've seen the 64's for <
$20, though
to be honest, I wouldn't go for less than 128...(as it is, a couple of
things I've had
to split to get on the 128.....but I don't remember if they'd fit on a 256....)

Also, I actually have a CF to IDE adapter.....it's way cool.  I got it from the
Tucson Amateur Radio Group (http://www.tapr.org/tapr/html/Fcfa.html) ...I
use it to
boot my firewall box...which only has 1 moveable part....the fan on the
CPU.....there
isn't even one on the PS.   I think that's cool to be able to do that...

Earl