An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Kevin Loch kloch at gurunet.net
Thu Jul 31 09:32:50 CDT 2003

Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Remember, with ISDN, it's not the monthly fee that kills you -- it's the
> per-minute connect charges.  The only way to avoid the per-minute
> charges is to go with an ISP that offers Centrex ISDN, which makes you
> logically part of their internal phone system as far as the telco is
> concerned.  I wouldn't even CONSIDER non-Centrex ISDN, because if I
> could afford non-Centrex ISDN, I could afford a fractional T1.
>
> The telcos and the Feds, between them, have effectively killed ISDN in
> the US as a data service.

Yep, I had centrex ISDN to a friend's house (who had a full T1) for
a few years.  I shut it down when Cable modem service became
available.  All the servers were at work anyway.  Before ISDN,
I had dedicated dialup with DIGEX, with a /24 (out of digex space).
I had three dialin modems for freinds and family.  And get this--
No firewall!  Those were the days.