An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Wed Jul 30 22:58:55 CDT 2003

Dan Sikorski writes
> On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 18:02, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> > Remember, with ISDN, it's not the monthly fee that kills you -- it's the
> > per-minute connect charges.  The only way to avoid the per-minute
> > charges is to go with an ISP that offers Centrex ISDN, which makes you
> > logically part of their internal phone system as far as the telco is
> > concerned.  I wouldn't even CONSIDER non-Centrex ISDN, because if I
> > could afford non-Centrex ISDN, I could afford a fractional T1.
>
> A co-worker of mine who lives near Michigan City, IN has ISDN for
> internet access and pays about $50/mo with no per minute fees.  He can't
> get DSL, cable, or wireless where he is, so it's a great deal in his
> case.

ISDN is the best I can do here (Rolling Bay, Bainbridge Island, WA, USA) for
anything resembling reasonable money.  I pay Qwest about US$80 per month for
the line, and US$40 per month to Blarg for "unmetered" ISP services.  Both
are flat-fee.  Before I discovered Blarg, I used another ISP that charged a
flat fee for the first 3000 "channel minutes" per month, and US$0.50 per
channel minute after that.  I was paying them about US$200 per month, even
using various tricks to keep my usage down.  As far as I know, Blarg has the
cheapest ISDN ISP service in the Seattle area.

Just a data point...

-Shel