[rescue] Total corporate madness (

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Thu Jul 31 03:27:09 CDT 2003

Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net> wrote:
[...]
> Yeah, Zip100 was pretty bad. I've been lucky with mine, it's only failed
> once. I'm told reliability of the Zip250 drives was a lot better, but I
> haven't ever personally used one.

My external SCSI 250MB Zip drive doesn't work. I think it's because the
crappy PSU failed the smoke test.

> Frankly, I think flash memory could fill the bill very nicely -- if they
> could just AGREE ON ONE FORMAT, DAMMIT! instead of the proliferation of
> SmartMedia and CompactFlash and Memory Stick and Secure Digital and ....
> How many damn flash-memory formats are there now? Six? Seven? Eight? [...]

The one that appears to be winning is CF, although there's something rather
seductive about the USB drives.

My main complaint about flash is that it doesn't have enough write cycles,
and when it fails, it does so in a catastrophic manner instead of, say,
going read-only.

--
When one BOFH walks into your cube and wants a word, you're in trouble. When
two BOFHs walk into your cube and want a word, you're in lots of trouble. When