[rescue] Jeez!!! Are ethernet taps are a racket business?

Daniel de Young daniel at velvetsea.com
Wed Jul 30 23:15:31 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 19:44, Mike Johnson wrote:

> Bah.  Might be cheaper than $1500. ;)

Actually, after checking out the cisco docs, it looks like I can create
multiple span ports.  If I pick up a used 2924 for about $600 I could do
something like:

1. Split the switch up into 3 vlans.
2. Use one port as a span port for each vlan.
3. Connect each span port (3) to a nic in the ids.

This carries the addes benefit of cleaning up the architecture really
nicely.  I could set up the ports as follows:

ports  |   vlan  |   desc
1-3    |   wan   |   ids, router, sdsl
4-8    |   dmz   |   ids, router, wireless, mail, www
9-24   |   lan   |   ids, router, hosts(14)

Ports 3,8,24 would be span ports for the respective vlans.

Simple, clean, I like it.

Am I missing something or is this my answer?

-Daniel