An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Wed Jul 30 16:38:09 CDT 2003

On Wednesday, July 30, 2003, at 01:59 PM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> I've been over DSLreports repeatedly.  There aren't very many reports
> from PA in it, let alone my part of PA.  I think that Covad might offer
> SDSL service in my area, but it starts at $140 for IDSL speed service.
> If all else fails, I should be able to get actual ISDN for $100, or
> ISDL
> speed cellular service (some verizon 3G thing) for $80 (speed dependent
> on reception which varies greatly in lancaster, and I haven't
> established what it would actually be at my apartment).  Sigh.  I don't
> have the energy for this right now, but I really need something.

You might also want to check around for microwave links.
I got mine through Sprint Broadband (no longer accepting
new subscribers).  Microwave was the only broadband I could
find at the time, as no one would take over my DSL after I left
Cisco, even though the line and repeater was in place (I believe
it was IDSL).

Cisco private network routed by Rhythms to the corporate
network at that time; now they force everyone to get their
own broadband and VPN in.

=Nadine=