An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Joshua D. Boyd jdboyd at celestrion.celestrion.net
Wed Jul 30 15:59:03 CDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 03:41:50PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> If you're within 20,000 feet, try shopping around for SDSL.  Check
> DSLreports.com or 2wire.com.  When we moved from Milpitas to Tracy,
> PacBell originally gave us a CO distance estimate of 12,500 feet (we
> checked *before* we bought the house).  "Yippee!" we said, "768k SDSL."
> Then when we bought the house and actually tried to get service
> installed, they revised their range estimate first to 16,000 feet, then
> to 19,500.  At that range, PacBell's ADSL offerings dropped dead 7,000
> feet short of the house, but Megapath and New Edge were able to get us
> 208k SDSL service.

I've been over DSLreports repeatedly.  There aren't very many reports
from PA in it, let alone my part of PA.  I think that Covad might offer
SDSL service in my area, but it starts at $140 for IDSL speed service.
If all else fails, I should be able to get actual ISDN for $100, or ISDL
speed cellular service (some verizon 3G thing) for $80 (speed dependent
on reception which varies greatly in lancaster, and I haven't
established what it would actually be at my apartment).  Sigh.  I don't
have the energy for this right now, but I really need something.