[rescue] Re: Being jobless

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Jul 29 11:22:09 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 12:41:20PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> Either there's an awful lot of useless crap being crammed in, or
> they're having the same problems coping with the new versions of
> autoconf/automake/automangle that the rest of the world is.

I think a lot of the bloat is geared toward producing better code.

I'm running gcc 3.2 and it produces better code than the compiler 2
years ago.

I don't really like gcc, but I don't have much choice either, and I'm
happy to get code improvements.

The binaries on my AMD Athlon system are now faster and smaller, so I'm
having a hard time complaining right now.

I played with the Intel compiler, but I can't afford it, and I had
problems here and there.  No, it wasn't gcc extensions or broken code.
I optimized some code with it and it just would not function.

My Intel CD is a couple of years old though, so maybe that's just a
problem that's been fixed.

Oh, and Intel doesn't support AMD instruction sets, or any other
processor platform.