An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Jul 28 15:14:14 CDT 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 03:57:20PM -0400, Mike F wrote:
> I know exactly what you mean - the same thing happens with my DSL.
> Sometimes, there will be errors that are enough to cause pppd to
> restart the connection,

Aargh!  PPP over Ethernet is evil .....

> but other times, the connection will just
> sit there dead in the water and the only solution is to manually
> reset the modem and restart pppd. Other covad customers have seen
> the same thing, but Covad can't seem to find anything wrong.

I *never* had problems of this type with non-PPPoE SDSL service from New
Edge or Covad.  The only time it went down[1] was if something physically
happened to the lines, or something broke at the ISP's end (New Edge
lost routers a couple of times).

[1]  Except for the portscan DoS vulnerability I discovered in the SDSL
     router's firmware, which, last I knew, Flowpoint -- er, I mean
     Efficient Networks -- had finally acknowledged (two years after I
     reported it) but still hadn't fixed.