An ISP of their own (was RE: [rescue] Being jobless)

Mike F lists at mikef.dyndns.org
Mon Jul 28 14:57:20 CDT 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 15:44:04 -0400
Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 02:05:48PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Phil Stracchino wrote:
[snip]
> Our Earthlink dialup service has been terrible.  They just randomly
> stop routing our traffic anywhere up to six times a day.  The
> connection doesn't drop, they just stop transporting data.  Not to
> mention that we lost a third of our bandwidth when they closed the
> local "real" POP in Tarboro NC (10 miles away) and put us on a
> redirector to Washington DC (310 miles away) about a month after we
> signed up.

I know exactly what you mean - the same thing happens with my DSL.
Sometimes, there will be errors that are enough to cause pppd to
restart the connection, but other times, the connection will just
sit there dead in the water and the only solution is to manually
reset the modem and restart pppd. Other covad customers have seen
the same thing, but Covad can't seem to find anything wrong. Sigh...
Oh, and I'm in Michigan, but the Covad POP I'm routed through is
in Chicago, about 200 miles away. Fortunately this only happens
once in a while.