[rescue] does this guy know his stuff?

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 27 07:17:46 CDT 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 02:03:38 -0400
"Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366" <patrick at zill.net> wrote:
> Does he know his stuff concerning Sol8 tuning?

I can't see anything obviously wrong, although for someone who likes
tweaking kernel tunables it's strange he hasn't picked up on setting
'maxphys'.

> I am dealing with doing software RAID5 on Sol9 with 3 or 4 disks.  I

I'm sure you already know this, but to get performance you're starting
from the wrong place. You'll probably get a far greater performance
boost by switching to striping and mirroring than any other tweaking
(except to the application).

> expect many transactions to be between 8K and 16K.  According to this
> guy I should thus use an interleave of between 24 (3*8K) and 64
> (4*16).

Surely that's 16K (block size) / 4 (disks) ? That's pretty close to the
SVM/Disksuite minimum of 16 blocks. Personally I'd setup a benchmark to
check a range of block sizes, but I wouldn't be too surprised to find
the difference to the application is negligable.