[rescue] ibook disassembly

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Fri Jul 25 18:24:30 CDT 2003

On Friday, July 25, 2003, at 06:14 PM, N.Miller wrote:

> I did manage to get the iBook almost completely apart.  It wasn't
> too bad.  What I thought was mold was the plastic of the bezel
> rubbing on the aluminum RF shield and oxidizing (black).  The
> only thing I haven't been able to do is get the mainboard all
> the way out.  There is dried liquid b/w the bottom RF shielding
> and the plastic case that I'd like to clean out, but the mobo
> is so tight in there, I'm afraid I'll hose up the RJ45/USB or
> the DC in/power board if I manhandle it any further.  MikeH,
> any suggestions?

1) Plastic of the iBook variety very rarely oxidizes.
2) If there's dried liquid then I'm betting this is a coke/coffee
accident victim.
3) I've never actually taken my iBook apart but there are two screws on
the bottom just where the colored and white bottom pieces come
together.  If you haven't taken those out then try them.

Also there are several dark spots on the graphite portion of the plastic
on the bottom.  Each one of those almost certainly represents a screw
location or a plastic "pin" on the topside so make sure all of those are
removed.  If you accidentally remove the heatsink (not sure if that's
possible) be sur eto go out to Rat Shack (Radio Shack) and get some
thermal grease to re-install with.

Most of the design of the clamshell iBook seems to be inspired by the
older Macs where everything seems to "crack" apart.  Probably not true
so obviously people shouldn't just yank on things but that seems to be
the mentality behind that and the old iMacs.

Mike Hebel

--
Medieval Combat anyone? http://www.kingsofchaos.com/page.php?id=694655