[rescue] ibook disassembly

N.Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Fri Jul 25 18:14:45 CDT 2003

On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 07:29 PM, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> --- "N.Miller" <vraptor at promessage.com> wrote:
>> Anyone have suggestions for on-line laptop drive vendors?
>
> I got a nice 40 Gig 2.5" laptop HD from Dell for just over $110, IIRC,
> and www.dirtcheapdrives.com is always a nice choice.

FYI, dirtcheapdrives.com appears to be dead.  I read a couple
negative reviews about them when googling for them yesterday,
as well.

> I think 40 Gig HDs are the sweet spot in the market right now, $120-140
> for 9.5 mm 40 Gig drive is what I remember from recent looks...

I saw 40GB IBM/Hitachi Travelstars (FDB) for $117 BIN on ePay.
My local place has them for $129.  I have two 20GB's, but one
of them is getting loud--I need to track down the receipt for
it and see about getting it replaced under warranty.

I did manage to get the iBook almost completely apart.  It wasn't
too bad.  What I thought was mold was the plastic of the bezel
rubbing on the aluminum RF shield and oxidizing (black).  The
only thing I haven't been able to do is get the mainboard all
the way out.  There is dried liquid b/w the bottom RF shielding
and the plastic case that I'd like to clean out, but the mobo
is so tight in there, I'm afraid I'll hose up the RJ45/USB or
the DC in/power board if I manhandle it any further.  MikeH,
any suggestions?

Thanks--
=Nadine=