[rescue] Divide and conquer

Daniel de Young daniel at velvetsea.com
Wed Jul 23 16:48:21 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 12:30, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> Actually, no, I was talking about the way many *nix users sneer at other
> *nix users for using the "wrong" *nix or the "wrong" hardware platform.
> "HP-SUX, piece of crap", "LinSux is garbage, get a real Unix", "Get
> rid of that Slowaris shit", etc.
>
> We don't need anyone to divide us up for conquest.  We do a great job
> all by ourselves.

Yeah, that's how I took it.  I've used just about all of them and each
has it's place IMHO.  It used to be SysV vs. BSD.  Now it's all the
BSD's attacking Linux and to a lesser extent each other.  Not to mention
Debian vs. The World(tm).  Throw in the Sun people and you have what's
comes off many times as a totally hostile environment.

I'm not much of a windows person (except when "they" want to throw money
at me to build/fix it), but how often do you hear two windows guys
arguing about silly stuff like that?  Normally, they're too busy trying
to help each other (get through it) to fight about silly things.

<rant>
With a few of the lists I'm on, almost like clockwork, soembody will
trash almost every single post.  The users in those lists pretty much
reply directly and it is like a whole underground community of list
members that communicate directly for fear of answering questions "on"
the list.  Needless to say that doesn't do much for people who come
afterwards.  The experienced users don't give a crap because they
already know.  It's not the best model.  I understand the other side of
it too.  Experienced users are tired of answering the same questions and
what not.  They jump in when somebody comes along who has devoted hours
of time to research the problem fully before asking the question (of
course somebody will flame them anyway).  Seems to me that if you don't
want to answer a question, that's fine...  However don't create an
atmosphere were "lesser users" feel like they can't help each other.
</rant>

I've been *using* for almost 8 years now and I don't see it changing.

-Daniel