[rescue] SCSI problem.

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Wed Jul 23 15:15:22 CDT 2003

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003, Earl D. Baugh Jr. wrote:

> basically the line from the man page on ufsrestore..)  Then I get these
> SCSI warnings:
>
> Disconnected  tagged cmds (64) timeout for Target 1.0
> SCSI transport failed: reason 'timeout'; retrying command
>
> and after that I get:
> SCSI transport failed: reason 'reset': retrying command

Things to check for:
  * Cable length
  * Double-termination

> Now, I though, ok, drive is bad

Nope.  You wouldn't normally get those errors intermittently on a bad
drive.

> So, I'm puzzled.  The format and newfs goes thru without generating any
> errors, but the dump and restore give me these warnings/errors.

Yep, because format and newfs move a LOT less data across the bus than a
dump/restore does.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Make sure you have an active terminator, and that the drive is not
configured to terminate the bus itself.  Obtain the shortest possible
cable between the external box and the computer.  Also, check the
quality of the cable -inside- the external box.  Since it has old
Centronics-style connectors, it might not be certified for SCSI-II.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )  "We're Texans.  We figure out ways to do these
Elgin, TX          (    things..."                    --Bill Bradford