[rescue] SS10 / SS20 Memory and SS10 or SS20 Clone?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Jul 18 18:06:00 CDT 2003

On 2003.07.18 23:01 Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> Keep in mind that if you find good deals on SM81s that despite they
> were made by Sun for use in the 1000/2000, they will work happily
> in a SS10/20 and give you more SuperSparc mhz goodness !
Well. Depends on the $$ it will take to get SM81. Main reason to get
this machines was to get SNMP baby! ;-) Speed doesn't matter that much.
If I wanted a fast SMP machine I would have looked for a Ultra 2 or
faster CPUs for my AlphaServer 2000 (that has only a single 4/200).

> what does module-info tell you at the open boot prom ???
Ahhh, module-info is the command I was looking for:
ok module-info
MBus  :  50 MHz
SBus  :  25 MHz
CPU#0 :  60 MHz SuperSPARC / SuperCache 2.x

> with SM61 or higher I believe it should run at 50mhz...
Yes, just as the "The Rough Guide to MBus Modules" toled me. I relpaced
the SM51 with the SM61 from the sun 4/600MP board and now I have 50 MHz
MBus and 25 MHz SBus speed.

> What OBP version is in your SparcEngine 20 ?
2.22

> DIMMs don't weight much, so you woulnd't have to get them locally.
I located a bunch of 16 MB DIMMs for 1,-EUR on ebay.de...

[VSIMMS]
> Shipment would not be expensive.... depends on the shipping option and
> wether or not you want it insured.  Payment may be trickier,
Payment is the real problem. I have no credit card (not that common in
germany) and no paypal account. I'll think about it.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen